Saturday, May 21, 2016

Marked in Flesh by Anne Bishop | Book Review

Marked in Flesh by Anne Bishop
The Others #4
First Published: 2016
Kindle
Adult, Fantasy
Rating:
For centuries, the Others and humans have lived side by side in uneasy peace. But when humankind oversteps its bounds, the Others will have to decide how much humanity they’re willing to tolerate—both within themselves and within their community...
Since the Others allied themselves with the cassandra sangue, the fragile yet powerful human blood prophets who were being exploited by their own kind, the delicate dynamic between humans and Others changed. Some, like Simon Wolfgard, wolf shifter and leader of the Lakeside Courtyard, and blood prophet Meg Corbyn, see the new, closer companionship as beneficial—both personally and practically.
But not everyone is convinced. A group of radical humans is seeking to usurp land through a series of violent attacks on the Others. What they don’t realize is that there are older and more dangerous forces than shifters and vampires protecting the land that belongs to the Others—and those forces are willing to do whatever is necessary to protect what is theirs…
Well. That happened.
I cried. I laughed. I squealed like an anime girl spotting her favorite Senpai reading the same manga she loves. I bit my nails. I awwed and ewwwed. I can't even with all these emotions and feelings. 

Like, I don't know how to deal with this. This book was devastating to me. I came here to have fun and I honestly feel so attacked right now. I mean, I knew it will get bad. I knew the stakes are rising and we're going to get some really bad stuff.

But... like... I sobbed. Why did you have to do this to me? Why????

Aside for that, this book got my shipping vibes rolling. We all ship Meg and Simon, and by this point that particular ship is more an armada that contains every single living soul in the novels plus everyone reading them, BUT I was seeing so much potential for more hybrid couples (as I shall now call them) in this novel.

There's Toyla, for one, whom I can pair with a couple of lovely ladies, and I feel like Jesse mentioned Shelley meeting the right guy for a reason, and her fascination with vampires (I'm sorry, I can't pronounce their actual specie's name in this series, let alone remember how to write it...)   has to come into play somehow. I mean, so far Anne Bishop have used every "small" detail that shouldn't matter to her advantage and made it important.

Now, this book gets a four and a half star rating because a lot of time was invested outside the Lakeside Courtyard and with new characters. I liked all the newbies and I liked their story, and I definitely see the necessity of it as the books progress in scale - it's no longer about the fight of the Lakeside Courtyard, but that of the entire continent and then some - but they aren't the Lakeside Courtyard, and the Lakeside Courtyard is where my heart lies and always will lie.

Speaking of my heart...
Was I supposed to live through that last scene? Because I think I've died. Like, seriously. That was so worth it. It's been wonderful enough that everyone knows they're going to be mates at some point. By now, it's just a matter of time and even Meg and Simon acknowledge that in their inner monologues. BUT, to have a scene like this... 

All I can think about is getting my hands on book five. The last book.

No comments:

Post a Comment