Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Under the Spotlight by Angie Stanton | Book Review

Under the Spotlight by Angie Stanton
The Jamieson Collection #3
First Published: 2015
Kindle
Young Adult, Romance
Rating:
Perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen and Jenny Han, this third book in the Jamieson Brothers trilogy will have readers wanting to fall in love with a rock star.
After an embarrassing stint on a reality TV music competition years ago, Riley Parks vowed never to sing again. Now she's working at the prestigious Sound Sync recording studio, and life is looking up. But then Garrett Jamieson, the oldest brother in the famous Jamieson brothers band, crashes into her world.
Garrett has hit rock bottom, and after calling in a few favors, he ends up working at the Sound Sync studio to learn the ropes of record producing. And he can't believe his luck when he discovers that Riley is an amazing singer. But Garrett is forced to use every trick in his arsenal to persuade Riley to record.
Sparks fly as Garrett finally meets his match. But in the heat of the moment, one stolen kiss changes everything.
Under the Spotlight is probably my favorite of this trilogy. I've been waiting for this story for over a year, always curious to see how Stanton will tackle Garrett falling in love.

Who's Garrett? Don't tell me you don't know who Effin' Garrett Jamieson is. From the band? Those boys that rocked the hearts of girls everywhere until they broke said heart by breaking up? Yes, those Jamiesons. Garrett is the oldest of the bunch... and a massive jerk. He was a jerk in Rock and a Hard Place, he was a jerk in Snapshot and he's a jerk here.

And in all honesty? I absolutely loved that. I loved the Stanton wasn't afraid to keep Garrett the character she made him in books 1 & 2 instead of backtracking and trying to change him so he'll be more likable, like some authors do.

Instead, she let us see, by keeping him a consistent jerk, that he was completely unaware of what a douche he is. That, in turn, helped make him kind of lovable. Because you could tell this controlling, crossing-the-boundaries attitude was his personality and he wasn't trying to be a jerk. And once pointed in the right direction, he was willing (after a while), to make some changes. Granted, Riley has her work set out for her, but Garrett is not un-redeemable by a long shot.

Speaking of Riley, I liked her. I liked her attitude and her spunk, I liked that she wasn't willing to let life beat her down, I liked that once she made her mind about something it was set. I liked that she didn't take Garrett's bullshit and called him out on it. Most of all, I liked that she took care of her family... though I wish she threw her good-for-nothing-mom to the curve.

They made a good couple because of how they balanced each other. Garrett pushed Riley for better, believed in her where she didn't believe in herself, and Riley took Garrett down a notch, correcting his behavior and helping him see being a control freak is not cute at all.

My only complaint is that I felt the angst, such as it was, was unnecessary.

As for things I wished we got to see? At the top of my list is interactions between Garrett and Riley's siblings. I think that could've been fantastic, and maybe we could see a fatherly side to Garrett with the younger children. I think it would've been something good for Garrett and the Parks.

No comments:

Post a Comment