Monday, March 14, 2016

On Unsubscribing and Why It's Difficult

This post is just some random thoughts that I had to write down. A few days ago, I unsubscribed from a few of the blogs on my mailing list. This is something I rarely do because I always feel so bad for those sites. I know how hard it is to make a wide audience base for yourself and how discouraging it can be to lose followers.

But at the same time... I wasn't a real follower to these blogs.

These are the blogs I almost certain I subscribed to because of some giveaway or another. I don't read their posts because their writing style doesn't engage me and they mostly feature books that are of not interest to me.

(it might be notable that I am an engaging subscriber to some blogs that are like this but have such an addictive writing style they might even get me to read those books I never planned to)

Can I count as a follower if I only check out the giveaway posts and most of the time I do nothing with them as well? If the blog covers novels that don't attract me? If every posts that comes into my inbox gets moved to trash without barely a glancewith only one in a million titles actually catching my interest???

There, I said it.

So I did some thinking with myself. I hate un-following. But in this case, isn't my "following"... worse? Aren't I somehow a cheat and a liar and I actually off-set their stats because I'm a ghost follower that doesn't really exist, like those bots and what not?

I AM NOT A REAL FOLLOWER. 

What do their stats need me for? What do I give them that requires I stay on board? Whose feelings am I going to hurt if for all intents and purposes I never "existed"in these bloggers lives to begin with?

These were the things that finally decided it for me. Maybe they are just excuses to make myself feel better about unsubscribing, and maybe if doesn't even matter if they are. I am going to do some real cleaning to the blogs I'm subscribed to. I am going to try and only subscribe to blogs I want to read the content of, and all those giveaways be dammed.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? DO YOU FIND IT HARD TO UNFOLLOW? DO YOU THINK A "SILENT FOLLOWER" IS WORTH SOMETHING? 

No comments:

Post a Comment