Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig | Cover Wars

Welcome to another episode of The Cover Wars, where covers are pitted against each other for the title of the UNDENIABLE WINNER! 

Ready, set... go!

BLACKBIRDS BY CHUCK WENDIG 
For me, this is such a hard fight. Originally, I was interested in this story because of the Saga Press cover I saw on kindle when the whole series was on sale, and the art-style reminds me so strongly of art style of The Raven Cycle series by Maggie Stiefvater which I love so much. I would hang those covers on my walls.

Ravens made of brushstrokes (or any birds, really) just get to me. They look so ethereal like this. 

But then when I went to Goodreads to see how my friends liked this book, I saw the Angry Robot cover, which is the most used cover for this book, and it's gorgeous as well. 

The woman (who is definitely Miriam and even looks like how Miriam probably does, which doesn't happen all the time) is beautifully made of ravens. But she is also being eaten by them, and between them you can see hands reaching and skulls and road signs and so much freakin' details! Every time I look at this cover, I see a new nugget of insight and detail - and let me tell you, they fit the story

At the end of the day I think both these covers are beautiful, and they have almost an identical color scheme and theme, but the Angry Robot one goes that extra mile with attention to details, deliberation and a fateful adaptation to the series namesake and protagonist - Miriam herself.

Bravo!
Which is YOUR favorite cover of the two?

No comments:

Post a Comment